POSITION: BAND MANAGER
HOURS OF WORK: FULL-TIME, PERMANENT
REPORTS TO: CHIEF & COUNCIL
Tsawout First Nation (TFN) is one of five bands that constitute the Saanich Nation. Located on the Saanich Peninsula on Vancouver Island, TFN has a population of approximately 1,600 registered members and various leased properties.
Chief and Council are looking to attract an accomplished Band Manager to ensure the organization continues to grow in a healthy and prosperous manner. Tsawout Government recognizes the importance of strong organizational leadership when it comes to delivering the very best of services to the community. Reporting to Council with a direct reporting relationship to the Chief, the Band Manager will:
- Ensure all programs are developed according to relevant legislation, industry standards, and best practices,
- Implement and monitor the policies and decisions of Council,
- Provide strong leadership, vision, guidance and direction to Chief and Council and staff,
- Implement dynamic stewarding skills required to inspire staff and play a key role working with the Chief and Council in developing strategic initiatives that meet both current and future needs, and
- Manage communications between administration and community members as well as other government agencies and departments, private industry, business and any other stakeholders to build TFN’s reputation, maintain its values and promote economic opportunities throughout their community.
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
As the successful candidate, you will need a strong post-secondary academic credentials that may include a degree in Business, Finance or Management, as well as at least five years senior management expertise, ideally gained in band management role. General knowledge of Lands Management – FN Taxation – Aboriginal health, CMHC, DFO, Etc.
Knowledgable of Various Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) policies and procedures and other relevant legislation. Understanding of First Nations history and culture is essential.
Must possess strong financial management skills, and are experienced dealing with economic development and have a proven track record of demonstrating your capabilities as a senior executive. Be a great team player, a strategic thinker with excellent communication and human resources skills coupled with sound judgment.
Criminal record check satisfactory to the employer is required.
This is a unique opportunity to guide the growth of the TFN, if you are self-motived, enjoy both responsibility and accountability and ready for the challenges facing this dynamic leadership role.