FISHERIES TECHNICIAN (x2)
POSITION: Fisheries Technician (2 positions)
TERM: Part-Time, Term (Sept. 21, 2020 to Jan. 29, 2021)
REPORTS TO: Band Manager
Tsawout is looking to add two part time hatchery technician positions for 8 hours per week at Goldstream hatchery and surrounding watersheds. These positions are based out of Tsawout First Nation and require travel to Goldstream hatchery and surrounding watersheds. Candidates should possess a positive attitude and have an aptitude for fish and fish culture and be willing to work on weekends. Days & hours will be Wed. and Sat. (8:00 am to 12:00 noon).
- Record biological data, including but not limited to fish counts in stream and dead pitch surveys
from fish in Goldstream River.
- Acquire on the job safety training and learn how to operate in around flowing water.
- Acquire on the job training on basic salmonid biology i.e.: and life histories of pacific salmon and
share Tradition Ecological kKowledge (TEK) with hatchery staff.
- Performs other data entry and validation functions as needed in regards to inventory.
- Assists with other office functions including, but not limited to, data validation, purchasing,
tracking daily activities, weekly summaries, and equipment maintenance (if required).
- Assist Goldstream field staff as needed. Duties include counting salmon landed by species, collecting brood stock, egg stripping and fertilization, cutting salmon heads/snouts, and collecting fish lengths and other biological data. Sampling may occur on weekends and holidays.
This is a great entry level position that can potentially lead to other employment opportunities within Tsawout First Nation.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Posses a valid BC driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- Have any combination of training and/or equivalent experience.
- Have the ability to lift 40-50 lbs.