Purpose of the Advisory Committee:
The Advisory Committee will take a leadership role in the development of a proposed new Custom Election Law for SȾÁUTW̱. The advisory committee will work closely with SȾÁUTW̱ legal counsel to engage SȾÁUTW̱ members on what they want to see in a proposed new Custom Election Law that addresses:
- how SȾÁUTW̱ leadership (i.e. Chief and Council) will be selected in the future,
- what their duties and responsibilities will be, and
- how they will be held accountable for their actions.
Once a proposed new Custom Election Law is developed, the Advisory Committee will play a key role in ensuring all SȾÁUTW̱ members are informed about the process that was followed to develop it, and that they know how to participate in a ratification vote on whether to approve it.
The final decision on whether to approve the proposed new Custom Election Law will be made by way of a ratification vote, where every SȾÁUTW̱ member 18 years of age or older will be eligible to vote.
The Advisory Committee will be composed of four to six SȾÁUTW̱ First Nation Members. Advisory committee applicants will be selected, with a goal of having it be made up of:
- At least one youth representative (aged 18 – 30)
- At least one Elder representative
- At least one off-reserve representative
- Representatives from a broad cross-section of SȾÁUTW̱ families
SȾÁUTW̱ will provide administrative support to the advisory committee through its Executive Assistant, who will be responsible for maintaining records of advisory committee activities, organizing the payment of compensation to advisory committee members, and helping arrange advisory committee meetings.
Advisory committee meetings will be facilitated by SȾÁUTW̱ Legal Counsel (Sonya Pighin and Adrienne Macmillan from Kina Law Corporation).
Term and Compensation:
The advisory committee will have a fixed term, commencing on May 1, 2022, and ending on July 31, 2023.
Each member of the advisory committee is eligible to be compensated with an honorarium in the amount of $150 for each meeting.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The advisory committee will provide advice to SȾÁUTW̱ Legal Counsel and the SȾÁUTW̱ Communications Person about:
- Information to include on the SȾÁUTW̱ Custom Election Law webpage, and in communications that go out to SȾÁUTW̱ members about the SȾÁUTW̱ Custom Election Law project;
- The materials used by SȾÁUTW̱ legal counsel in their community engagement meetings regarding the development of a proposed new SȾÁUTW̱ custom election law; and
- How to ensure a culturally meaningful approach is taken to the development of a new SȾÁUTW̱ Custom Election Law.
The advisory committee will actively assist with outreach to SȾÁUTW̱ Members, by working with the SȾÁUTW̱ Communications person to ensure SȾÁUTW̱ Members are aware of how to learn about and engage in the SȾÁUTW̱ Custom Election Law Project.