POSITION: LANGUAGE NEST TEACHER
HOURS OF WORK: FULL-TIME, PERMANENT (35 HOURS/WEEK )
REPORTS TO: EDUCATION MANAGER OR DESIGNATE
This position assists with the daily operation of the Language Nest Immersion Program, to provide care and guidance to the children, i.e, age appropriate activities to stimulate and develop intellectual, physical, emotional and cultural growth. The goal of this program is to engage Tsawout children and parents/families, so they can begin or continue to learn SENĆOŦEN.
Activity/Initiative Planning, Design & Delivery
- Capacity to work with technology to develop, implement and create age appropriate learning tools.
- Develop and implement daily activities to promote early childhood development; plan, prepare and present the Language Nest according to program components– culture and language, education, health promotion, nutrition, social support and parent/family involvement.
- Facilitate positive behaviour; lead activities that include telling or reading stories, teaching songs, demonstrating use of simple musical instruments, preparing and demonstrating the use of craft materials, providing opportunities for creative expression through the art/dramatic play/music/physical fitness, and taking children on field trips to local points of interest.
- Provide appropriate curriculum, resource materials and activities; develop school readiness in: physical well-being and motor development; emotional health and positive approach to new experiences; social knowledge and competence; language and cognitive skills; spiritual well-being; provide a learning environment that will contribute to their physical, spiritual, emotional, intellectual, and social development.
- Guide and assist children in developing proper eating, dressing and toilet habits.
- Speak to the children in a manner that develops self-esteem, mutual respect and vocabulary.
- Prepare and serve nutritious meals and/or snacks for children and parents.
- Arrange room and furniture for lunch and rest periods.
- Keep furniture and equipment clean, and free of any hazardous
- Supervise children at all times and reinforce safety rules to prevent/avoid dangerous situations.
- Coordinate visits with the parents in order to check in with children and their families.
- Provide opportunities the Language Nest parents to have meaningful experiences in planning, developing, operating and evaluating the program; encourage parents to participate in Program activities/initiatives (i.e., Parents SENĆOŦEN Class).
- Supports extended family, particularly elders, in the teaching of and caring for children.
- Establish and maintainS collaborative relationships with other community service providers.
- Present a positive, responsive, informed and professional image of the Language Nest when dealing with parents, and community members.
- Communicate with the community via public meetings, community newsletter contributions and/or other document(s).
- Attend regular staff meetings to discuss progress and issues; discuss progress or issues of children with parents.
- Submit written observations and assist Language Nest Coordinator in maintain child records.